[c-nsp] Question on h.323 video calls through a PIX 525 with NAT

Steven Pfister SPfister at dps.k12.oh.us
Wed Jul 15 12:28:14 EDT 2009

I'm having some trouble with h.323 (video) calls through a PIX 525 using NAT. We can get incoming calls fine, but not outgoing calls for some reason. My question has to do with 'inspect h323' vs 'fixup protocol h323'. What's the difference between them? The video conferencing unit in question has a NAT transversal option where I can supply an address and mask.I'm wondering if I'm having a NAT transversal problem anyway. Which one would handle the NAT transversal, inspect or fixup? Currently, the PIX config has:

  inspect h323 h225
  inspect h323 ras

do I need:

 fixup protocol h323 h225 1718-1720
 fixup protocol h323 h225 1720
 fixup protocol h323 ras 1718-1719

instead of the inspect commands? In addition to them?

Thanks!

Steve Pfister
Technical Coordinator,
The Office of Information Technology