[c-nsp] edge router BGP

Alasdair McWilliam alasdairm at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 11:49:50 EDT 2009

We've recently deployed ASR 1002 boxes with ESP5 cards and I'm very
happy with them. We only run 3 full BGP feeds on each ASR, with other
EIGRP peers, and while the CPU of our other boxes (7200vxr's) is
linear with load, the ASR seems to twiddle its thumbs somewhat even
under load.

It seems the 6500/7600's debate has come up on this list a few times
so I won't mention that ;-) I just know that specifically with the
6500s, even with an XL sup, I wouldn't be comfortable loading full BGP
feeds into it, given it's limitation will always be hardware (amount
of registers available to store routes in hardware).  I've no
experience with 7600s so can't say if it's the same limitation here.