[c-nsp] Free NMS Tools

Nick Hilliard nick at inex.ie
Fri Jul 17 08:42:43 EDT 2009

On 17/07/2009 13:18, Jonny Martin wrote:
> I think there was a touch of sarcasm in his original post. Nick's email
> domain suggests he is familiar with the use of BGP :).

I admit to using BGP now and then.

In fact, it's not just the tools that cause real problems.  We still don't
even have a multiprotocol bgp-aware SNMP MIB.  It's good that
draft-ietf-idr-bgp4-mibv2 is in progress, but at the moment, unless you're
talking about quagga and want to run Jeffrey Haas's reference patches for
this MIB, you're out of luck.

I am really tired of screen-scraping the output of "show ipv6 bgp blah" or,
heaven help us, similar commands for inspecting vrfs.  Are we not living in
2009, and has ipv6 not been on the table for the last 12 years?  Or did I
miss something?

But with reference to Saku's post, I sympathise completely.  Other tools
are little different: OpenNMS, JFFNMS (which still requires
"register_globals" to be enabled - serious!), Hyperic, Zabbix, etc.  They
are all very server oriented, and don't really do the sort of things I want
them to do.

Nick