[c-nsp] Splicing a roll-over cable

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Sun Jul 19 17:08:34 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've finally got some new routers in that I'll be using for testing (the
IPv6 BGP route-reflector situation is on the top of the list).

The lab area is very close to my workstation. Before I have the devices
connected to a network, I prefer to use my workstation to copy config
snips et-al to the devices.

Oftentimes, I'll use a lab pc to do similar jobs, so I unplug the
console cable from the device from my workstation serial port and
connect to a lab pc serial port.

I don't know much (ie. anything) about the electrical properties of a
serial pc interface, so I thought I'd ask whether it would do any harm
to 'splice' into a roll-over cable so the input/output from the console
can be used simultaneously from multiple command stations, without
having to do the physical unplug/replug.

Essentially, I'd like keystrokes to be seen on one monitor that is
connected to the console that is typed on another device connected to
the same console port.

Steve

ps. I'll be testing this on a 26xx tomorrow if this hasn't been tried ;)