[c-nsp] Splicing a roll-over cable

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jul 20 02:42:05 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 05:08:34PM -0400, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Essentially, I'd like keystrokes to be seen on one monitor that is
> connected to the console that is typed on another device connected to
> the same console port.

This direction should work (having two "receivers" on one "sending" line),
if the cable is not too long.

The other way ("typing on both machines will end up on the router") is
not going to work due to the signalling used on RS232 - there would be
two transmitters fighting each other.

As a corrollary, you can't just "splice all 8 wires", but you'd have to
extract RXD (as seen from the host) and GND.

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de