[c-nsp] PPTP devices

Daryl G. Jurbala daryl at introspect.net
Mon Jul 20 12:20:17 EDT 2009

I'm in the unfortunate position of having to support a bunch (100 or
so now, 300 or so very soon) PPTP connections.

Right now I'm using a 3825, and based on CPU performance it looks like
I'll be lucky to get 200 on this thing with my typical end use usage
patterns.

Cisco seems to be pretty poor with rating PPTP performance on their
devices, and would rather talk about L2TP (I don't blame them - it
appears that pptp support has been dropped from the ASAs entirely).

Does anyone have any idea what would be a good box for 300 to 500 (or
even more) PPTP connections?  The old VPN3000s seem to support this,
but I can't get any real numbers on how many connections I can
realistically support.  I was thinking of just finding some powerful
CPU IOS boxes and calling it a day on this one.  Any better ideas?

Thanks,
Daryl