[c-nsp] OSPF NSSA question

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jul 22 13:43:36 EDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Laurent Geyer wrote:

> If you're set on keeping the routers in a NSSA you could simply
> disable redistribution into the NSSA area by adding
> 'no-redistribution' to the area config.
>
> This will effectively keep type 5 LSAs from being advertised into the NSSA.
>
> Realistically it makes more sense to turn the areas into totally
> stubby areas. I don't see what benefit you gain from keeping the
> routers in a NSSA.

Simpler configuration?  I'm going to assume the routers in the NSSA are
exporting (probably static and or connected) routes into OSPF and can't do
this in a regular stub area.

I have an NSSA for some layer 3 switches doing this.  The switches can
handle a limited number of routes and really don't gain anything by
carrying our full internal routes.