[c-nsp] MPLS MTU / Jumbo frames etc.

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 22 23:50:31 EDT 2009

On Thursday 23 July 2009 04:13:51 am Brandon Applegate
wrote:

> I still think I'm
> going to proclaim that jumbo == 9000 to make it easier
> for server / storage guys to remember anyway :)

We've standardized on 9,000 bytes on all our switches and
routers, especially so because we are both a C & J house.

Different line cards that support different values,
different switch models within C that support different
values, are fixed at 9,000 bytes, e.t.c., means that 9,000
bytes is safe.

Most customers that require large MTU support need more than
1,500 bytes, but hardly ever need the full 9,000 bytes. So
even with a couple 10 or 100 bytes shy of 9,000 bytes, those
customers that need it have been happy.

Cheers,

Mark.