[c-nsp] going from collapsed core to separate core/distribution layers

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 22 23:40:17 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 22 July 2009 03:36:28 am jack b wrote:

> We are looking
> to break the collapsed core into a separate core and
> distribution layer leaving the 6509's in the distribution
> layer and getting a new platform for the core where we
> would move our transit providers.

So your new platform would double as a core and
peering/transit router, making it a collapsed
core/border/peering device.

I think the ASR1000 would be good - it's got decent support
for both Ethernet and SDH/SONET line cards, a fairly good
software feature set for both core and peering functions,
and with the right ESP, should haul a good amount of traffic
around.

But since you're collapsing these functions into a single
platform (and depending on how many PoP's and transit
providers/peering partners you intend to connect [to]),
you'll need to ensure you have a reasonably-sized model of
this router that fits your needs.

Cheers,

Mark.