[c-nsp] asa internal hosts limit

Daniel Staněk dan at orb.cz
Thu Jul 23 03:11:33 EDT 2009

Hello,

we are experiencing problem with ASA 5505. There is limit to 50 internal
hosts due to the licence and the limit is always reached in short time
after reboot even if the number of internal hosts is below apx 10.

the "sh local" output is:

Detected interface 'outside' as the Internet interface. Host limit
applies to all other interfaces.
Current host count: 50, towards licensed host limit of: 50

and in the local hosts list we see records like:

local host: <213.149.x.x>,
    TCP flow count/limit = 1/unlimited
    TCP embryonic count to host = 0
    TCP intercept watermark = unlimited
    UDP flow count/limit = 0/unlimited

  Conn:
    TCP out 213.149.x.x:443 in 10.x.x.x:4267 idle 0:00:00 bytes 360
flags UIO

so there is public host 213.149.x.x marked as local host even if exists
outside of the network (therefore the local host limit s reached very
fast as there is enough sessions). Communication for this session is
enabled by acl and dynamycaly translated to the pool of outside address.

global (outside) 1 x.x.x.x
nat (inside) 1 access-list server_nat

access-list server_nat extended permit ip host 10.x.x.x any

sw version is:
Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance Software Version 8.0(3)6

Does anybody know where the problem may be?

Daniel