[c-nsp] BGP failover for two traffic types

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Wed Jul 22 19:54:56 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have a CE router doing eBGP peering with two of my PE routers over
distinct WAN circuits. The CE router services two netblocks on its LAN
interface: one is for VOICE, the other (secondary IP address) is for DATA.

I want the customer's DATA traffic to flow to/from PE1 by default, and voice
traffic to flow to/from PE2 by default. In the event of an outage on one of
the circuits, I want all traffic to flow over the circuit that's still up.

I already know how to manipulate the traffic inbound to the CE router in
this way, using conditional BGP advertisements. However, I can't figure out
how to make the customer's outbound traffic prefer one link or another
depending on whether it's DATA or VOICE, except by using route-maps, and
those don't play nice as far as failing over to a backup link if the primary
link is down.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to use VRF for this application, but I'm
pretty new to it and don't know if it's really a viable approach.

Interested in ideas ... should I attempt a solution based on VRF? Or maybe
there is a simpler solution ....

thanks,
Adam