[c-nsp] Monitoring BGP with NAGIOS

Brandon Ewing nicotine at warningg.com
Thu Jul 23 12:10:10 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 09:03:41AM -0500, Frank Bulk wrote:

> Currently the NAGIOS plugin I'm developing polls the bgpPeerState,
> bgpPeerIn/OutUpdates and bgpPeerIn/OutTotalMessages and alerts me if there's
> a change.  Since a BGP session could be re-established in a short amount of
> time, I would like to trigger an alert if the number of In/Out Updates or
> Messages exceeds the regular value (I'm presuming that when the BGP session
> re-establishes, these counters climb more quickly than during times of
> stability).  But I'm not sure if Updates/Messages are normally sent every 30
> or 60 seconds (I've seen 60 on a wiki page, but "sh ip bgp neighbors" says
> that the "keepalive interval is 30 seconds" and "Default minimum time
> between advertisement runs is 30 seconds".  I'm guessing this knob can be
> adjusted in IOS, so ideally I would like the NAGIOS plugin to accommodate
> for that, such that if the counters move '5' in 5 minutes that's OK with a
> 60 second period, but if it's a 30 second period, then those counts should
> move 10 times.  But keep-alive/scan interval doesn't seem to be listed in
> the MIB.

BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerHoldTime ( .1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.18 )
BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerKeepAlive ( .1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.19 )

Hold time is 3x keepalive by default
Updates are sent as they are processed
There are also OIDs for the locally configured hold and keepalive timers, as
you will use your peer's configured timers if they are lower.

> Also, there's a lot more information available at the Cisco CLI when
> executing "sh ip bgp summary", specifically:
>
> .         Up/Down times

BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerInUpdateElapsedTime ( .1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.24 )
BGP4-MIB::bgpPeerLastError ( .1.3.6.1.2.1.15.3.1.14 )

> If you think I'm going about this the wrong way, please feel free to tell
> me. =)

Have you looked at the following plugins in the Nagios Exchange?
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Uncategorized/Software/SNMP/check_bgp_neighbors/details
http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Uncategorized/Software/SNMP/check_bgp/details

Cisco's MIB Browser also has a wealth of information regarding BGP SNMP
http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&step=2&mibName=BGP4-MIB

--
Brandon Ewing                                        (nicotine at warningg.com)