[c-nsp] MST spanning-tree

harbor235 harbor235 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 14:04:05 EDT 2009

When adding ports to a spanning-tree instance, spanning-tree discovers and
eliminates
loops in the topology. What your are experiencing is an "as designed"
feature of spanning tree.

You can segment your layer2 domain via PVST/PVST+ or you can segment your
layer 2 domain
using MST via customer spanning-tree instances, infrastructure spanning-tree
instances, MST regions,
etc ... I believe the max MST SPT instances per device is 65, the answer is
to segement where possible and to group vlans onto a region or MST SPT
instance to minimizes downtime. So one device, or pair of devices,
could support upto 65 seperate MST SPT instances (65 customers).

Mike