[c-nsp] Dumb question of the day (on vlans)

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sat Jul 25 14:34:44 EDT 2009

You have a layer-2 2950 switch, and you're trying to add multiple SVIs
to it.  A layer-2 switch can only have one active SVI which corresponds
to the management vlan/address.  Consequently, you can only have one
active at a time, and it will keep the others shutdown.

To add vlans to the switch, just use the "vlan" commands.  You don't
need SVIs for layer-2 vlans.  If you DO want to route multiple vlans,
you'll need a layer-3 switch (e.g., a 3550).

Jeff