[c-nsp] VRF-lite to do L3 passthru

Jeff Kell jeff-kell at utc.edu
Sun Jul 26 12:33:56 EDT 2009

Jeff Bacon wrote:
> is it really that simple? Will VRF-lite work without actually using BGP
> or MPLS? Are there docs somewhere in the Cisco spiderweb which are
> clearer on the topic than the ones which are part of the SX doc train?

As others have pointed out, yes, it really is that simple.   But there
are a few "show-stoppers" you may experience...

* You own the transport... so you can trunk the VRF from point A to
point B,
* The transport doesn't depend on your existing L3 mesh (else you have
to tunnel),
* You don't need any "leakage" between

Doing "leakage" requires BGP, if only a local instance where you do
inter-vrf routing.  This is (my opinion) the missing bit of the
documentation.  The VRF definitions with the "import/export
route-target" declarations only work if BGP is up and running on the
same node.

Jeff