[c-nsp] VSS question...

Matlock, Kenneth L MatlockK at exempla.org
Tue Jul 28 22:59:23 EDT 2009

Last I had heard, the IOS code can only understand 2 supervisors total. Meaning you have an active and a standby, and that's it. So you have 1 supervisor in each chassis total. There is no current concept of an active, and multiple 'hot' standby supervisors.

That (among other things) made us decide not to do VSS, although having portchannels span multiple 6500's was an attractive feature....

And keep in mind that for VSS, you're looking at the Sup720-10G supervisors, and the WS-X6708 cards for the links between VSS pairs (sure, you can get away with just the links on the supervisors, but you have a huge single point of failure).

Ken Matlock
matlockk at exempla.org
Network Analyst
Exempla Healthcare