[c-nsp] Humor: Cisco announces end of BGP

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Wed Jul 29 02:40:20 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 29 July 2009 04:59:46 am Justin Shore wrote:

> According to a Pannaway SE who visited us a few years
> ago, he'd seen SPs many times our size who used static
> routes for everything.  He said we weren't big enough to
> need a routing protocol.  Of course he also said that our
> pipes weren't saturated so we didn't need QoS and that
> IPv6 was just a fad and would never be adopted in the US.

<off_topic>
Well, we once had a major, very well known, fairly large
global transit provider tell us they couldn't increase their
BGP maximum prefix limit on our eBGP session to them because
our circuit size was only 100Mbps. If we wanted to announce
more prefixes through them, we'd have had to increase our
subscribed capacity to them, first...

Makes you wonder...
</off_topic>

Mark.