[c-nsp] OSPF LSA timers

Raymond Lucas rlucas at nz1.ibm.com
Tue Jun 2 02:10:29 EDT 2009

Hi,

I have been gradually rolling out OSPF across a network including the
following bit of config:

router ospf 172
 ispf
 timers throttle lsa all 10 100 5000
 timers lsa arrival 80

Which was fine until I arrived at a couple of 6506s with SUP2/MSFC2 running
12.2(17d)SXB9 which don't support those commands.  Seems they were only
introduced in 12.2(18)SXF according to Software Advisor.

We can't upgrade to 12.2(18)SXF due to a lack of memory on the switch
processors.  I'm not too worried by the "ispf" business, but I have a bad
feeling about having a couple of devices different from their neighbours
with the LSA stuff.  To really up the nerves, these 6506s are are part of
the core.  I can imagine it working well most of the time but then failing
badly when the pressure is on.

So I guess my questions are:

- Am I right to be worried, or will things work fine if I miss these
commands from these devices?

- Since these timers can only be set on a per device basis, as opposed to
per interface, is there an elegant way to deal with this scenario?
Obviously I would not be keen to remove the modified timers from the rest
of the network!

Thanks,
Ray