[c-nsp] ICMP replay from egress PE

Amjad Ul Hasnain Qasmi zhqasmi at cyber.net.pk
Tue Jun 2 23:45:04 EDT 2009

Try enabling " mpls ip propagate-ttl "
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/switch/command/reference/swi_m2.htm
l#wp1058956

Regards,
AHQ

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Pshem Kowalczyk
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 8:27 AM
To: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: [c-nsp] ICMP replay from egress PE

Hi,

Recently we've upgraded some of our 7301 to ASR (1004). Config
remained pretty much the same (from L3VPNs perspective), but it looks
like the behaviour of both platforms is somewhat different. I'm not
sure if it's a feature or a bug yet.

We have a typical setup, like this:
CE1 --- PE1 --- P1 --- P2 --- PE2 --- CE2
                        |              |
                        + --- PE3 --- CE3

So customers site is multihomed via PE2 and PE3 and has internal
connection between CE2 and CE3

With 7301 Traceroute from CE1 used to show the IP of PE2 or PE3
(egress interface from the vrf), after the upgrade to ASRs - all we
can see is PE1's IP and then straight CE2/CE3, but since customer
drops icmp packets - we can't really see which way it's really going.
Is there a way to get an ICMP reply from the egress ASR? I understand
it switches the packets out through the interface without actually
doing any lookups, but even after forcing 'label-per-vrf' we can't see
the last hop.
Any ideas if this behaviour can be corrected?

kind regards
Pshem