[c-nsp] ICMP replay from egress PE

Ivan Pepelnjak ip at ioshints.info
Wed Jun 3 08:23:17 EDT 2009

The only reason I could see for this behavior is the per-platform specific
IP packet processing on the egress PE router.

Obviously the difference between the 7300 and the ASR is the exact moment at
which the TTL is decrememented in the switching path. Based on your
description, ASR decrements TTL before LFIB lookup is performed and thus
decrements the label TTL, whereas the 7301 decrements TTL after the LFIB
lookup causes the VPN label to be popped exposing the IP packet and thus
decrements IP TTL.

I am not sure you can get what you used to have with the ASRs.

You could still, though, ping the PE2/PE3 in-VRF IP address from CE1 to
verify that the PE-CE links are up (and I'm positive you know all this), but
obviously cannot perform end-to-end path verification if CE2/CE3 block
traceroute probes. How about inspecting the VRF routing table on PE1? Do you
have access to it?

Interesting behavior, thanks for sharing it!
Ivan

http://www.ioshints.info/about
http://blog.ioshints.info/