[c-nsp] BGP Advertising - Question re more specific block

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Thu Jun 4 09:01:56 EDT 2009

Paul Stewart wrote:

> We are advertising a specific /22 that belongs to a /18 block via one
> specific upstream BGP connection.  The /18 is advertised to all upstreams,
> the /22 is only advertised to one upstream as a method of influencing
> traffic via that carrier (knowing that if that particular carrier went down,
> the less specific subnet will still be reachable via the other providers).
> Prepending is very ugly for this situation FYI.

Paul,

Just so I can get a better understanding, you are applying a community
to each /22 you are advertising to certain peers.

You are then applying a route-map to a particular peer, that only sends
the prefixes that have a particular community set. Is this correct?

Do you advertise this exact group of /22's to more than one upstream peer?

Steve