[c-nsp] BGP -> OSPF (Or another way?)

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Tue Jun 9 21:58:15 EDT 2009

On 6/9/09 4:05 PM, "mb at adv.gcomm.com.au" <mb at adv.gcomm.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are receiving a /24 from one of our upstreams, that we need to
> redistribute into our IGP (OSPF), so that all of our cores are aware
> that they can reach this /24 primarily through this upstream(Then, if
> this upstream is down, traffic destined to this /24 would go via our
> other upstreams)
>
> I know redistributing bgp->ospf is considered a bad idea, but other
> than adding a static route, is there another option?
>
> Under ospf would it be
> redistribute bgp xxx route-map SUBNET_TO_INJECT_FROM_BGP
>
> With the above route maps acl only allowing the /24 we are interested in?

I think, as Kris said, you should be running iBGP to distribute external
routes through your network.  This keeps the two processes and associated
routes nicely separated.

Setting up an iBGP mesh should be as easy as a single network statement on
each of your connected devices towards every other (unless you want to use
route reflectors).

Regards,

Mike