[c-nsp] HSRP and Standby router

Ibrahim Abo Zaid ibrahim.abozaid at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 04:30:05 EDT 2009

Hi All

I was studying some HSRP senario which is little bit different than what
used to work on , we have 2 routers connected with access ports to internal
box which has 2 direct physical layer-2 links to both routers and HSRP is
running between VLAN SVIs on both routers across L2 ether-channel between
them

if physical link to active router fail , the client will ARP stanby router
for MAC of HSRP group IP , my question here is stanby router will answer ARP
requests while it still detect that active router is still alive from HSRP
over etherchannel between them ? and if yes , what MAC address it will
answer with ? the active router owns group vmac address so if standby reply
it will reply with bia address and L2-switch the traffic to active router ?

waiting for opinions and your experience share

best regards
--Ibrahim