[c-nsp] IPTV Switch Recommendation

Chris Knipe savage at savage.za.org
Wed Jun 10 14:09:37 EDT 2009

On 10/06/09 13:25 -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:

>We have a customer that does lots of IPTV - they have a new deployment
>currently going into an MDU (condos).  They have asked for a recommended
>switch that is "IPTV friendly" - I'm presuming they mean multicast aware
>etc.
>
>Which Cisco switches would be recommended to handoff approximately 20 Cat5
>drops fed by fiber coming in?

We're going through the same story at this stage.  Working with allot of
vendors, testing, and trails.  So far for us, a combination of entry
level 2960s and 3560s are working fine.  You are correct, the most
important thing is Multicast and IGMP subscriptions, so pretty much
any half decent switch would be capable.

Ciscos naturally just work best for us though because we love them so
much.

--
Chris.