[c-nsp] IPTV Switch Recommendation

Tarko Tikan tarko at lanparty.ee
Wed Jun 10 15:12:57 EDT 2009

hey,

> We have a customer that does lots of IPTV - they have a new deployment
> currently going into an MDU (condos).  They have asked for a recommended
> switch that is "IPTV friendly" - I'm presuming they mean multicast aware
> etc.

I have been down this road - don't waste your time with "cheaper" vendors, you will end up replacing the gear anyway.

> Which Cisco switches would be recommended to handoff approximately 20 Cat5
> drops fed by fiber coming in?

2960 does fine job. You now get all the security features that were available on 3750 only, on 2960 too.

ME2400 used to be an alternative but it always looked like a box made for one customer and it's EOS now anyway.

--
tarko