[c-nsp] Nexus 5000 + Qlogic QLE8042 + VMware ESX 3.5?

Nate tincan at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 02:41:27 EDT 2009

Has anyone gotten VMware ESX 3.5 Update 4 to recognize the Qlogic
QLE8042 CNA with both the 10G Ethernet interface and FC HBA? We're
trying to get the server with the CNA installed connected to the Nexus
5000 and while the Ethernet interfaces are shown as up on the N5K, the
VFC interfaces are stuck in init state. ESX does not appear to
recognize the Qlogic as an HBA, even though we're using the latest
driver from Qlogic. We contacted VMware tech support and the answer we
got back was that ESX will only recognize the Qlogic as an Ethernet
interface, not HBA. That does not sound right, since I've recalled
hearing others having success. If anyone has successfully gotten the
Qlogic CNA to work under VMware ESX as both an Ethernet and HBA, I
would love to hear your experience.

TIA!
Nate