[c-nsp] Qos on IPSec + GRE tunnel with sup720-3bxl

Robert VanOrmer vanormer at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 14:59:03 EDT 2009

I am having an interesting challenge in getting a QoS policy that is
supported / works across a IPSec + GRE tunnel running 12.2(18)SXF
(Sup720-3bxl, ws-svc-ipsec-1, flexwan with DS3).  I am not trying to do
anything overly complex.. really just want to make sure RTP or EF tagged
frames make it, and let the rest of the traffic fend for itself with any
queuing strategy.  Originally, I was just planning to use class/policy maps
with the bandwidth and priority controls to guarantee a certain amount of
bandwidth to dscp ef.  This doesn't seem to be supported..  and my google-fu
is failing me..  Most documentation references the qos pre-qualify features
and auto-qos, which are also unsupported in this configuration.  TAC
recommends policing, but I would rather avoid that unless that is the best
mechanism.  Anybody have any experience with a similar design and willing to
share some pointers?  Any recommendations on the best QoS strategy using GRE
tunnels on the 6500 platform?