[c-nsp] 10GE blade questions

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Jun 17 13:51:20 EDT 2009

At 10:29 AM 6/17/2009, Gert Doering blurted out:

>Hi,
>
>On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 01:05:33PM -0400, Paul Stewart wrote:
> > We have a 6509 sup2/msfc2 switch which only does layer2 services - is there
> > 10GE options available for this platform?
>
>None of the WS-X67xx boards will work with a Sup2 (they need Sup720
>fabric connections).
>
>I seem to remember that there was an earlier 10G blade (something like
>"1 ports, no XENPAKs"), but can't find any details about it - the
>board name was WS-X6502-10GE, and even that one would require a fabric
>board for your Sup2 (CEF256 fabric) - which hardly anybody has.
>
>I'm not sure whether I'd go there...

That card is EOL & will be EOS next month. You are better off
upgrading the sup to sup720 and buying a 670x 10G card, it'll be
cheaper & higher performance.

> > The WS-X6708-10G-3CXL  blades are also of interest for Sup720 platform - if
> > they are only doing VLAN trunks out to remote switches and any
> routing would
> > be done on SVI interfaces on the Sup720 then does it matter if you get only
> > the 3C version?
>
>Yes.  *If* there is a DFC on the board, and it's a non-XL DFC, all the
>switching in the system downgrades itself to "non-XL".
>
>I think you could run it as a CFC card (with no DFC), but as far as
>I remember, it's not sold that way and most likely "not supported".

6708/16 do not have a CFC option, they only run with DFC.

HTH,
Tim

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759