[c-nsp] BGP quandry

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Thu Jun 18 10:06:49 EDT 2009

Peter Rathlev wrote:
> Core #2 doesn't have "route-reflector-client" configured towards the new
> router, so it only sends it's own prefixes and prefixes from any RR
> clients of it's own. That seems to make sense to me too.

It does now that I've thought about it.  With iBGP not forwarding on
updates it learns from other iBGP speakers, the only way I was receiving
the routes in the existing environment was with the RR config.  That
makes sense.  So now I'm building a full mesh between all the speakers.
  I haven't done a great deal of RR work so I always have to stop and
research RRs when I work with them.  I was pretty sure that I couldn't
pull an eBGP confederation speaker off of the RR client which is why I
was pushing everything back towards the full mesh.

> AFAIK you always have to activate the specific peers in the VPNv4
> configuration for VPNv4 functionality. I.e. :
>
> VPNv4 and IPv4 mixes fine, but the activation is seperated so you can
> run some IPv4 only peers, some VPNv4 only peers and some mixed peers.

That's good to know.  I assumed that the I could make the change en mass
by using the peer-group but adding individual activations will work too.
  That's probably a good thing so I can be more flexible with my
peer-group use.

Thanks for the input
  Justin