[c-nsp] Layer 2 vs Layer 3 Performance Question

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Jun 22 11:59:08 EDT 2009

Jason Luke wrote:
> I actually don’t know if the linecard has a DFC. It’s an old 6509 and
> keeping any hardware information straight on this proves to be confusing
> to me.
> This is what I have.
> L3 Switching Engine II  WS-F6K-PFC2
>
> 1000BaseX Supervisor      WS-X6K-SUP2-2GE
> Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC2
> Switch Fabric Module      WS-C6500-SFM
>
> When you say “some difference,” are we talking significant differences
> here?  This is basically the singular router for the entire organization
> (3000+ computers) so EVERYTHING flows through it. If the difference
> might be 2 or 3 times faster, then its worth it. But if the difference
> is marginal or a few meg per second, then its kind of irrelevant.

Hmm. I'm more familiar with the sup720/PFC3 hardware than the earlier stuff.

What IOS version are you running? Can you "show mod"?

Are the servers & backup kit on the same linecard? If the linecard lacks
a DFC, then it's possible having them on the same VLAN would buy you
local layer2 switching, versus a (potentially contended) layer3 lookup
on the PFC/sup.

I can't be sure about that though - anyone know if the gigE linecards
for sup2 switch layer2 locally?