[c-nsp] Layer 2 vs Layer 3 Performance Question

Tim Stevenson tstevens at cisco.com
Mon Jun 22 12:44:55 EDT 2009

If you have DFC on the linecard, then *everything* is distributed for
traffic ingress on that linecard - L2, L3, ACLs, QoS, Netflow. If
not, then it's centrally processed by the PFC for traffic ingress on
that linecard. There is no "local L2 switching" (or any other local
forwarding decisions) without DFC.

Based on the description and h/w list you provided (though you didn't
provide any linecard details), there would be zero difference in
performance of the system for L2 vs L3.

HTH,
Tim

At 08:59 AM 6/22/2009, Phil Mayers stated:

Tim Stevenson, tstevens at cisco.com
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759