[c-nsp] MPLS L3VPN w/ OSPF PE-CE

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Mon Jun 22 15:36:10 EDT 2009

Hi,

We're about to expand our use of OSPF PE-CE connections in some
redundant setups, and in that regard I'd be happy to know more precisely
if I can expect all (most) customer devices to repect the DN bit.

As I understand OSPF, all customer routers should just not care about
the DN bit in all LSAs but of course propagate it. From skimming RFC2328
I can't seem to find the place where it says the "MUST" preserve all
option bits, which I guess would also exclude what a PE does according
to RFC4576.

I might just lack a general understanding of OSPF, but I'd hate to run
into some specific software/hardware version of something and not know
what's happening. So far it "just worked" where we've used it, but if
anybody can share any experiences regarding this I'd love to know. :-)

Regards,
Peter