[c-nsp] Cisco ASR as BBRAS... ? (is this a sane solution)

Peter Krüpl peter at linkstate.dk
Wed Jun 24 04:11:15 EDT 2009

Hi Group,

I am currently considdering to replace a couple of juniper ERX310's,
with cisco ASR1002's. The junipers, are doing PPPoE termination for
both OinQ vlans and ATM pvc's and also DHCP for some subscribers.
The ATM part will remain on the juniper routers, as this will be
decomissioned in the near future.

We have approx. 1000 subscribers on each ERX right now, and that
stays the same for the ASR's. Maybe 2000 subscribers per box, in
2 years time.

So the task for the ASR's is to terminate QinQ and provide PPPoE
or DHCP servcies to each subscriber in order to provide them with
internet access. The ASR should also be a part of our MPLS network,
that contains Cat6500/Sup720 and Cat7600/Rsp720 boxes. As we have
some connections terminated into different VRF's, but in that case the
service
is static confiured on the routers, so no DHCP, PPP or other stuff
just plain IP.

It is also a reuirement that it is possible to build EoMPLS circuits
from either
a single or double tagged vlan on the ASR to a vlan subinterface on a
Cat6500/7600.

The juniper routers today provide the DHCP service via RADIUS,
has cisco something simillar ? You can get lot's of radius servers
that use
a database as their backend, but no decent DHCP server. This makes
subscriber  provisioning harder to do on the fly. So it would be a shame
to loose this feature. All of our subscribers have static IP's.

I have made the following shopping list:
ASR1002- 5G/K9 ASR1002 w/ESP 5G,AESK9,4GB DRAM
FLASR1- BB- RTU Broadband Right To Use Feature Lic for ASR1000 Series
FLASR1- BB- 4K Broadband 4K Sessions Feature Lic for ASR1000 Series
SASR1R1- AIS-K9 -21SR Cisco ASR 1000 Series RP1 ADVANCED IP SERVICES
SPA- 8X1GE- V2 Cisco 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Shared Port Adapter

Would this solution workout fine ?
Any alternatives.... ?

Kind Regards,
Peter Krüpl