[c-nsp] Mac OSX WakeOnLan

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Thu Jun 25 18:02:16 EDT 2009

Christina Klam <cklam at ias.edu> wrote:

> We have been trying to get WakeOnLan for Mac OSX to work reliably
> across subnets without success.  I have added "ip directed-broadcast
> [access-list#]" to the interface VLANs for those buildings/users with
> Mac Minis.  However, it works only part of the time.  On the same
> switch, some Minis work all the time, while others work only part of
> the time.   I have done a a couple of packet capture but nothing jumps
> out at me.   In addition, using the cable-diagnostics tdr on the
> switches, I have verified that all of the cabling is good.
>
> We are using Cisco 3750G/E stacks (version 12.2(44)SE1) and Cisco
> 4507R-E (cat4500e-ipbasek9-mz.122-46.SG.bin).

We are 12.2(50)SEish

> Anyone else had similar issues?

Not bothered trying to wake up the fruits here, but PeeCee's have been
sulking.  I thought it was just typical borked Dull kit however even
packet sniffing off the port I fail to get the magic packets.  That on
the same switch on other identically configured ports it works :-/

We have the 'extra fun' of it being an 802.1X port but the
'dot1x direction in' bits are in there and it *can* work...occasionally.

>From my experience, I don't have hard and fast info and it was a while
back, the issue is linked to the switch thinking there is no spanning
tree edge port action.  You can see a difference on working/non-working
ports when you type 'show dot1x int <whatever> detail' and querying
about what spanning tree is making of the situation too.

Sorry it's all vague, I looked into this about three months ago (when we
were using 12.2(44)ish) and it's on my books for revisiting this
summer.

At least you know you are not alone :)

Cheers

--