[c-nsp] OT: Cisco WAAS Setup Scenario

James Michael Keller jmkeller at houseofzen.org
Fri Jun 26 10:12:19 EDT 2009

Felix,

As the SYN packet for a new tcp session passes through the WAE unit
(in-line or via wccp) the WAE uses the tcp option fields of the SYN
packet to tag the packet with it's unique ID and it's capabilities (CIFS
Acceleration, DRE, TFO, etc).   If the flow doesn't encounter another
WAE unit, it is processed by the other end of the connection as a normal
(outside of firewalls/IDP blocking it for unknown tcp options).    If
passing through a another WAE unit, the return SYN/ACK is tagged by that
WAE and any matching capabilities are enabled for that flow on the
return path WAE and the source WAE.

The use of the TCP options fields for the 'WAAS magic' is where you run
into problems with firewalls and IDS systems, they either drop packets
completely or strip the TCP 'unknown' options from the packets.   Which
prevents any optimizations from engaging (if stripping) or the
connections being blocked (if dropping packet).

ASA/PIX's where updated to pass WAE tagged traffic, other vendors may
have issues passing the traffic.   It depends on what your WAN network
is connected with.   In the case I had to get it working via a
Checkpoint->Checkpoint IPSEC VPN, the wire-mode VPN feature worked to
avoid any packet mangling of the TCP options and we got full optimization.

I would also make sure you are on the latest and greatest release.
There have been a lot of improvements and general bug / crash fixes in
the  in the last year.

---
James Michael Keller