[c-nsp] Network Address Response

Ms Geekgirl msgeekgirl at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 11:36:42 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Geoffrey Pendery<geoff at pendery.net> wrote:
> No, I think he's asking why the router with address 10.0.0.5 responds
> to pings that have a destination IP of 10.0.0.4.  The echo request is
> targeted at a network address, not at the router.
>
> I've also observed this behavior (more than ICMP though - I have a
> router responding to SNMP and being discovered by our configuration
> management team, on the network address of one of its interfaces) and
> would like to know more about why...
>
> -Geoff

My apologies. But it still *seems* that I partially answered the
question that was asked.

My noobness is now showing...what did you use to view the replies(just
the router's display response or a sniffer?) The reason I ask is,
wouldn't all devices in network B respond to the broadcast request and
it appears to be from the router's intA (unless they were configured
not to respond??)

Thanks.

- - -
mgg

Like a seedling in the Spring, green and vulnerable.