[c-nsp] L3 image for 3550 (SMI versus EMI)

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Sat Jun 27 17:23:08 EDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-06-27 at 15:40 -0500, Graham Wooden wrote:
> Can the SMI version of the C3550 take the Layer3 image? I know it
> would be preferred on many fronts to run the L3 on the EMI hardware ­
> but curious if the SMI will be OK.  Only some EIGRP routes and traffic
> policing on certain ports and SVI (~15-20Mb).  Would like to know
> about some past experiences from folks on this...

AFAIK the EMI and SMI versions are exactly the same hardware. When
upgrading to an IP Services image you would of course have to buy a
relevant license for this.

I have tried this a few times on both C3550, C3560 and C3750. The new
E-models (3560E and 3750) use a "Universal" image containing all
features and activate these based on the license file.

Regards,
Peter