[c-nsp] 7206 Gig Ethernet Options

billw at waveform.net billw at waveform.net
Mon Mar 2 15:26:31 EST 2009

AFAIK, the PA-GE is only available supporting a GBIC, so there is no
native copper interface. I've never tried using a 1000b-T GBIC in a PA-GE
before, but I wouldn't count on it working -- Cisco only lists the PA-GE
as supporting optical GBICs.

Depending on your application, you might be able to use a switch as a
"media converter" to convert from something like gig-SX from the PA-GE to
a gigabit copper port. If you don't need the router to see multiple VLANs
it's easy to just put a copper port and an optical port on the same VLAN
in a switch and use the two ports like a media converter. While not an
elegant solution, it does work.

  -Bill