[c-nsp] Verizon's PIP service

SML sml at lordsargon.com
Mon Mar 2 16:30:36 EST 2009

On 2-Mar-09, at 14:45:12, D W wrote:

> Anyone happen to know if Verizon relies on any 3rd party service
> providers (using inter-AS MP-BGP, ATOM, etc.) for their PIP (MPLS
> based private IP) service? I'm trying to figure out which service
> providers have a national reach and fully contain/control their own
> MPLS clouds without relying on one another for transport.

VZ told us that they use their network. We user them in multiple
locations around the world. We do see the occasional issue in which
the PE circuit (Ethernet hand-off) is up and the BGP peering is up,
but we see no routes. Sometimes this lasts for a couple of hours
(especially in Asia).

We have never received a satisfactory explanation for what they are
doing to our routes internally in their network.