[c-nsp] Verizon's PIP service

jp jp at saucer.midcoast.com
Tue Mar 3 12:50:04 EST 2009

No company owns all the infrastructure to get around the world.

For example the undersea cables are commonly investor owned, installed
by one company, maintained by another, and used by a variety of
carriers. Things like the FLAG or SEA-* cables. Surely not the case
here, but AT&T either did or does a lot of the ship-based
repair/construction work on undersea cables, and has a fleet of ships
around the world waiting for a problem to respond to. Probably differnet
companies are incharge of things on land too.

On Mon, Mar 02, 2009 at 03:44:43PM -0600, ChrisSerafin wrote:
> I know for a fact that Verizon doesn't control everything end to end. I
> have a decent sized client with circuits all over EMEA, and I always hear,
> 'ooh that's referred out to AT&T/xxxx for testing'
>
> This may be only the last mile of the circuit though.
>
> just my 2 cents
>
> --chris
>
> D W wrote:
>> Anyone happen to know if Verizon relies on any 3rd party service providers (using inter-AS MP-BGP, ATOM, etc.) for their PIP (MPLS based private IP) service? I'm trying to figure out which service providers have a national reach and fully contain/control their own MPLS clouds without relying on one another for transport.
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dave

>> 270.11.5/1979 - Release Date: 03/01/09 17:46:00

/*
Jason Philbrook   |   Midcoast Internet Solutions - Wireless and DSL
    KB1IOJ        |   Broadband Internet Access, Dialup, and Hosting
 http://f64.nu/   |   for Midcoast Maine    http://www.midcoast.com/
*/