[c-nsp] 7206vxr cpu usage.

Keith kwoody at citytel.net
Thu Mar 5 18:22:05 EST 2009

Have a 7206vxr w/NPE-G1 and a couple of PA gig adapters, one with
an SFP one with a GBIC.

We have a fiber connection that was 100Meg, plugged into GE0/1.

We added another fiber connection that is GigE and connected to the GBIC.
This morning I cut over from the old 100meg fiber to the fiber in the
GBIC. It was just a matter of moving the IP address of GE0/1 to GE1/0 and
we were away and running.

Since then, the router CPU has gone up by about 10%. Normally at this time
of day its about 22-23%, it is now about 32%. Normally at peak times the
CPU barely broke 25%. I'm guessing but it looks like it might break 40% at
peak times now.

Is the router working harder because of the GBIC and using gig ethernet
rather than faste? We were using a gig port on the NPE at 100 meg.

sh proc cpu shows that IP input is the top process and ip cef is enabled.

Thanks for any input.
Keith