[c-nsp] ftp.cisco.com unusable?

Saku Ytti saku+cisco-nsp at ytti.fi
Fri Mar 6 11:37:16 EST 2009

On (2009-03-06 15:31 +0000), Mateusz Blaszczyk wrote:

> > I noticed this same years ago, this is why I use ftp-sj. However somewhere
> > between beginning of time and now it seems to have lost relevance:
> >
> > [ytti at ytti.fi ~]% dig ftp.cisco.com +short
> > 198.133.219.241
> > [ytti at ytti.fi ~]% dig ftp-sj.cisco.com +short
> > download-sj.cisco.com.
> > 198.133.219.241
>
> 1 IP does not mean same machine these days

Unlike HTTP/1.1 FTP does not tell which was the DNS name attempted, as
that information is lost SLB can not use that information to steer
traffic. Connecting with ftp to ftp.cisco.com, ftp-sj.cisco.com or
198.133.219.241 in above case would be equal.
Of course we can't determine where 198.133.219.241 will end up,
but where ever it will be, ftp-sj or ftp does not make difference.

Thanks,
--
  ++ytti