[c-nsp] Input Errors

Fri Mar 6 13:12:09 EST 2009

I seam to be having a few customer complain about latency and I'm not sure
what's going on.  There traceroutes always show the latency on my layer2
side of the connect from my upstream.  It always seams to be the same
upstream but my other two don't really move too much traffic.  One thing I
did notice is that I'm seeing input errors on some interested.  I'm seeing
input errors on the interface that connects to the upstream, as well as
input errors on interfaces that are connecting my borders to my core/access
switch.  I try to trace from my gear out to the customers ip and the trace
goes out the same upstream but latency looks normal and is half what they
see when coming in.  I'm been trying to figure out what might be going on
but it's proving difficult.

So what's causing these input errors?  I have them on every interface on
both my borders.  Whats weird is that on my core/access switches that
connect to the borders i dont see any errors on those interfaces.

My network design is simple.

* two border routers, 7206VXR-NPE-G2
* 3750 stack as core/access
* gigE connection between borders and core/access
* gigE connection between borders
* gigE connection to all 3 upstreams.
* full BGP between borders
* OSPF between borders and core/access
* full BGP to upstreams
* Primary upstream pushes about 200mbit
* secondary upstream pushes around 40mbit
* third upstream pushes around 10mbit.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

border1#sh int | inc input errors
     16 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 16 ignored  [ GigE 0/1 ]
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored [ FE/02 Shutdown]
     6 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 6 ignored [GigE 0/2]
     6464 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 6464 ignored [ GigE 0/3 ]
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored [FE1/0 Shutdown]
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
[Loopback0]

border2#sh int | inc input errors
     6712 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 6712 ignored [ GigE 0/1 ]
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored [ FE 0/2
Shutdown ]
     23 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 23 ignored [ GigE 0/2 ]
     14805 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 14805 ignored [ GigE
0/3 ]
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored [ FE 1/0
Shutdown ]
     257 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 66 overrun, 191 ignored [ GigE 2/0 ]
     0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
[Loopback0]

~Shaun