[c-nsp] Horrible MPPP Performance

Michael K. Smith mksmith at adhost.com
Fri Mar 6 22:48:25 EST 2009

Hello Everyone:

I have two 2800 series routers with 4, clear-channel T-1's between.  I'm
running MPPP with the 4 T1's in the bundle.  Performance is *awful*.  100
byte packets, 40 ms with 98% delivered.  1500 byte packets, 900 ms latency
with 25% packet loss.

Here are my config snippets from the two routers.  I've done everything I
can think of and nothing seems to change the performance.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

I've tried moving clock from one side to another, tried running with
network-clock-participate on the line-clocked side, set both sides to line,
set both sides to internal.  The configuration below is the only one that
shows no slips, but the performance is still terrible.

I've also tried changing the load-balancing from per-packet to
per-destination to FIFO to Fair queue.  Nothing changes.

Note, I only included one of each of the T-1 controllers and Serial
interfaces because the others are exactly the same.

----- Side A ----------
    WIC Slot 0 and 1:
    T1 (2 port) Multi-Flex Trunk WAN daughter card
    Hardware revision 1.0             Board revision B0
    Serial number     34720142      Part number    800-04477-04
    FRU Part Number   VWIC-2MFT-T1=

no network-clock-participate wic 0
no network-clock-participate wic 1
ip cef
!
controller T1 0/0/0
 framing esf
 clock source internal
 linecode b8zs
 channel-group 0 timeslots 24
!
!
interface Multilink1
 description Uplink to Market Range via 4 Bonded T-1's
 ip address 172.16.1.5 255.255.255.252
 no cdp enable
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink links maximum 4
 ppp multilink group 1
!
interface Serial0/0/0:0
 no ip address
 ip load-sharing per-packet
 encapsulation ppp
 no keepalive
 no fair-queue
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink group 1
!
ip route 10.2.0.0 255.255.0.0 Multilink1
!
-------- Side B --------

    WIC Slot 0 and 1:
    T1 (2 port) Multi-Flex Trunk WAN daughter card
    Hardware revision 1.0             Board revision B0
    Serial number     34720142      Part number    800-04477-04
    FRU Part Number   VWIC-2MFT-T1=

no network-clock-participate wic 0
no network-clock-participate wic 1
!
ip cef
!
controller T1 0/0/0
 framing esf
 linecode b8zs
 channel-group 0 timeslots 24
!
interface Multilink1
 description Uplink to Adhost via 4 Bonded T-1's
 ip address 172.16.1.6 255.255.255.252
 no cdp enable
 ppp multilink
 ppp multilink links maximum 4