[c-nsp] Resetting an RSM password/config

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Mar 7 04:39:22 EST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 07:23:17PM -0800, Charles Wyble wrote:
> I recently purchased some cisco gear for my lab. One of the things I am
> doing is configuring a Catalyst 5505 with a Route Switch Module (RSM).
>
> Any idea how to reset the config to factory defaults? I bought it second
> hand and need to clear the configs as I don't know the password.
>
> I googled a bit and didn't find anything.

The RSM has a console port - and from there, you should be able to follow
the standard password recovery procedure documented on CCO.

Search www.cisco.com for "password recovery".  If the RSM is not documented
anymore (being end-of-life), follow the procedure for a router from that
time - a RSP* or 3640 should be similar.  Don't follow the procedures for
*switches*, though - the RSM is a bog-standard IOS router in a switch blade,
not a switch in itself.

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert at net.informatik.tu-muenchen.de