[c-nsp] BGP community and MP-BGP route-target

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Sat Mar 7 11:39:34 EST 2009

On Saturday 07 March 2009 11:41:51 pm Tim Durack wrote:

> I guess what I'm asking is: Do AS:nn BGP communities and
> AS:nn MP-BGP route-targets share the same
> "community-space"?

No they don't.

VRF RT's are part of the extended communities definition
which support a 64-bit value, and would appear only on the
routes associated with that particular VRF or per your
configuration.

Assuming your garden-variety IP network, standard
communities support 32-bit values and would generally apply
to routes in your global routing table.

Having said that, it is possible to attach both standard and
extended communities to a route. In such a case, the router
would handle each type of community per their individual RFC
specifications.

Cheers,

Mark.