[c-nsp] power down of standby sup is not possible

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Tue Mar 10 17:08:26 EDT 2009

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk wrote on 10/03/2009 22:48:
> Hi,
>> Anyone care to explain why such a limitation?
>>
>> 7609(config)#no power enable module 5
>> %Error: no power control on supervisor cards
>>
>> 7609#sh mod
>> Mod Ports Card Type                              Model              Serial No.
>> --- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------ -----------
>>   5    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Hot)            WS-SUP720-3BXL
>>   6    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)         WS-SUP720-3BXL
>>

>> I'm trying to power down the standby sup and i though cisco's green agenda would have though of that.
>
> supervisors are the 'brain' of the box, as it were - and therefore
> when people buy 2 of them, they'd rather have them both running..eg
> in SSO mode.  i found this 'situation' out as you possibly did -
> attempting to do a remote reload by just doing a 'power enable'-cycle? :-)
>
> alan

Well, i don't like the idea of strictly following Cisco's concept of redundancy.
In my case, i don't want to enable redundancy on this box, but i want to have 2 sups
inside (with the 2nd one being powered-off). I guess that's not possible :(

Alan, you can do "hw-module module x reset" in order to reset a module (sup included).
I was just trying to have a 2nd sup disabled. I don't need any syncing between the sups
and power saving would be a welcome addition.

Talking about power-saving, i haven't found any way to disable power reservation of a sup
slot, when that one is not being used. You can always put another module there, but i
can't consider this as a solution.

--
Tassos