[c-nsp] 7500 Channelized DS3 Issues

Todd Shipway todd at newfrontierssolutions.com
Tue Mar 10 19:49:44 EDT 2009

We are experiencing weird issues on a channelized DS3 card with
interfaces dying at random.

DS3 card is divided into multiple T1 interfaces.  All interfaces have
been running without problems for weeks.  Last week 1 interface went
down, and when it came back up, no traffic will go across the interface.
The int shows as up/up, manually setting a route doesn't help anything.
Copying the int config to a different channel on the same card fixes the
issue and traffic is back to normal.

Today, we had 2 interfaces that were part of a multilink ppp interface
go down and right back up.  All interfaces were up/up including the
MLPPP interface.  Moving them to different channels resulted in the same
issue.  Moving 1 T1 to a Multi-channel T1 card and keeping the other T1
on the channelized DS3 allowed the multilink interface to come up and
traffic went back to normal.

No errors or alarms on any cards.  Cards aren't over provisioned, and I
can't pinpoint why this issue is occurring.  It seems like it's slowly
spreading from interface to interface.

Has anyone experienced something similar or have any clues as to what I
could possibly look for?

Thanks,
Todd