[c-nsp] power down of standby sup is not possible

Tassos Chatzithomaoglou achatz at forthnet.gr
Tue Mar 10 20:12:37 EDT 2009

Seth Mattinen wrote on 11/03/2009 00:50:
> Tassos Chatzithomaoglou wrote:
>> Anyone care to explain why such a limitation?
>>
>> 7609(config)#no power enable module 5
>> %Error: no power control on supervisor cards
>>
>> 7609#sh mod
>> Mod Ports Card Type                              Model
>> Serial No.
>> --- ----- -------------------------------------- ------------------
>> -----------
>>   5    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Hot)            WS-SUP720-3BXL
>>   6    2  Supervisor Engine 720 (Active)         WS-SUP720-3BXL
>>

>> I'm trying to power down the standby sup and i though cisco's green
>> agenda would have though of that.
>>

> It's not a "green" thing, but a "redundant" thing. A second supervisor
> is for redundancy, and if it's off and unconfigured, you might as well
> just store it on a shelf and swap it in when needed because you won't be
> able to power it up anyway if the active sup fails. They're doing more
> than just synchronizing config changes when in standby mode.
>
> ~Seth

Seth,

There are remote locations (with more than one box installed) that i don't have a shelf
and i prefer to have one sup "online" (but not as standby) serving all boxes. That way i
can watch it through my inventory management system. In case of an emergency, someone
staying nearby can go there and just plug it in, replacing the active sup in any box.

--
Tassos