[c-nsp] FWSM HA secondary reload & long downtime

Ramcharan, Vijay A vijay.ramcharan at verizonbusiness.com
Thu Mar 12 17:25:25 EDT 2009

Not that I'm helping any...

We've always enabled monitoring on every interface whether the FWSM was
running single or multi mode and I've always taken it for granted that
it was configured that way.

The FWSM 3.2 config guide says "In multiple context mode, you must
configure interface monitoring from within each context."
Also that if an interface is shared between contexts you can monitor
that interface in just one context. That doesn't say a whole lot
obviously as you already know.

Normally if you configure interface monitoring the unit runs a series of
tests (link, activity, arp, broadcast) to determine whether an interface
has failed and what should be done according to the failover policy.

If all interfaces within a context are not monitored then I wonder, what
is the behavior of a unit booting up? Does that newly booted up context
with no monitored interface go active for some time and mess with
traffic coming/going to/from it for some period of time? Obviously the
"correct" behavior would be to "see" the peer as active and go into
standby.

I know that for active/standby all contexts on a unit are either active
or standby but obviously something else is going on.

What does "show monitor" on a context with no monitored interfaces look
like?

Vijay Ramcharan